Modified from Garden Vegetable Soup, MyPlate Kitchen, https://www.choosemyplate.gov/recipes/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap/sopa-de-verduras
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium carrots, cut into ½ inch slices (about 1.5 cups)
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 cups vegetable broth, unsalted or low sodium
1 can green beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed (14.5 ounces)
1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added (14.5 ounces)
1 can tomato sauce, no salt added (8 ounces)
2 medium zucchinis, chopped (about 2.5 cups)
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
To taste salt and pepper (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add carrots, onion, and garlic powder. Cook 5 minutes on medium high heat and stir often.
- Add broth, green beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and lower heat. Simmer 10 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Stir in zucchini and heat for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add other veggies like peas, butter beans or bell peppers. Red pepper flakes could be added for a little spice. Chicken or beef broth could be substituted for vegetable broth. Fresh or frozen green beans could be substituted for canned green beans. For more protein, add chicken, turkey or lean beef.
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 70
- Sodium: 35mg
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Tomatoes, Green beans, Squash, Main dishes, Side dishes, Snacks, Soups