Squash and Chicken Stir Fry
- Yield: 6 Cups 1x
Modified from Broccoli and Beef Stir-Fry, University of Kentucky Family & Consumer Sciences Extension. https://fcs-hes.ca.uky.edu/recipe/broccoli-and-beef-stir-fry
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces
1 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 large sweet red pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium yellow squash, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 tablespoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
To taste Salt and pepper (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken pieces to skillet. Cook for 6-8 minutes on medium high heat and stir often so chicken cooks evenly.
- Remove chicken from skillet. Place in bowl or plate off to the side.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil in the skillet.
- Add chopped veggies to skillet. Cook until tender for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Return chicken to skillet with vegetables and add garlic powder.
- Add additional seasoning if wanted. Cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, until heated through.
- Serve warm. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Lean beef steak can be substituted for chicken or leave out meat altogether for a veggie stir-fry. Minced garlic could be substituted for garlic powder. More or less red pepper flakes could be used depending on level of spice desired. Soy sauce can be served on side. Additional veggies such as zucchini, carrots or pea pods could be added.
- Serving Size: 1.5 Cups
- Calories: 270
- Sodium: 70mg
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
Keywords: Squash, Main dishes