Modified from Sweet Potato Pancakes, Get fresh! SNAP-Ed program, retrieved from www.getfreshcooking.com/recipes/breakfast-foods/sweet-potato-pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ cup low-fat milk, 1%
2 teaspoons applesauce, unsweetened
1 large egg
½ cup pumpkin, canned, unsalted
non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat griddle to medium-high heat.
- In small bowl mix flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In large bowl mix milk, applesauce, egg and pumpkin.
- Add flour mix to the wet ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Spray griddle with non-stick spray. Pour batter onto griddle, ¼ cup for each pancake.
- Cook until bubbly and flip. Cook until done, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm.
Top with fresh fruit, powdered sugar, or honey. Add dried cranberries or raisins for a sweeter pancake. Add nutmeg for more flavor. For a flatter, thinner pancake, add an additional ½ cup low-fat milk. Mashed sweet potatoes or fresh pumpkin puree can be used instead of canned pumpkin.
- Serving Size: 2 Pancakes, ¼ Cup batter each
- Calories: 200
- Sodium: 410mg
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
Keywords: Pumpkin, Main dishes